RWC opens Monday to community members
Posted: July 31, 2020
Gannon’s Recreation and Wellness Center is welcoming those who hold current memberships to use the facility beginning Monday, Aug. 3, just one week after reopening to our university members.
The RWC will be open with limited hours of 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, and from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
Those who hold current memberships to the RWC can use the facilities. To accommodate for the time during which the facility was closed, we’ve extended all current memberships by an additional five months.
Please note the following regarding this extension:
- If a membership expired during the time the RWC was closed, that membership term will be extended through January 2021. This includes four months for the COVID-19 shutdown plus an additional month.
- If a membership expired outside of the shutdown months, that membership term will be extended an additional four months for shutdown plus one additional month past the original term expiration date.
- Example: A membership with an expiration date of Nov. 10, 2020 will be extended through April 10, 2021.
All current memberships are eligible for renewal as becomes necessary. However, new memberships and guest day passes will remain unavailable until further notice.
We’ve made modifications to our RWC operations and services that pertain to both our Gannon and non-Gannon community members who use the facility.
Here are some key points
- The courts and indoor fieldhouse will be open for use but pick up-games will not be permitted.
- Locker rooms will remain open. However, we’re asking that individuals come dressed to work out and shower at home, if possible, to reduce capacity in these areas.
- The pool will remain closed until further notice.
- Group fitness classes will remain virtual until further notice.
- All cardio equipment has been arranged to permit social distancing.
How your workout will be different
- If possible, dress for your workout prior to arriving at the RWC to limit density in locker rooms.
- You will have to wear a mask or face covering at all times while inside the facility, even when exercising. This article by the American Council on Exercise provides best practices around wearing a mask while exercising.
- The drinking fountains have been turned off, but you will still be able to refill your water bottle using the bottle fill dispensers that are available at the drinking fountains. Please bring your own water bottle for this.
All exercise equipment and machines must be properly sanitized and wiped down following use.
We will have disinfectant spray at each piece of equipment throughout the building. Cleaning towels will also be located both in the cardio and strength areas. Towels can be deposited after use in a specified location where they’ll be picked up to be washed and then reused.
Wellness Checks for Community Members
Community members are required to complete their own wellness screenings by asking themselves the questions found in the daily COVID-19 survey on the LiveSafe app (these do not need to be submitted by community members), and monitor for any symptoms of COVID-19 prior to arriving on campus. If you have symptoms, we ask that you not come to campus.
Upon arrival, all community members will have to undergo a temperature screening via a free-standing thermal imaging kiosk located at the entrance of the RWC. Anyone displaying a temperature of 100.4° F will be asked to leave the facility.
If you have a question or a comment, you can submit it at https://www.gannon.edu/Questions-or-Comments/.