An update on Tropical Depression 10
Posted: August 27, 2023
Ruskin students and colleagues,
We are continuing to monitor Tropical Depression 10, or Invest 93L, which is nearing tropical storm intensity today and is expected to strengthen into a hurricane by Tuesday over the Eastern Gulf of Mexico according to the National Weather Service.
The Florida Governor’s Office issued a state of emergency yesterday for 33 counties including Hillsborough County to activate weather preparations and precautions.
Weather hazards from Tropical Depression 10 are expected to include heavy rainfall that may lead to flash and urban flooding Tuesday through Thursday as well as strong winds and possible storm surge.
Floridians are encouraged to monitor weather conditions and follow orders from local officials, as well as review their disaster preparedness plans and stock their disaster supply kits for their households.
We encourage if you have not yet taken advantage of the disaster preparedness sales tax holiday to do so to prepare for the storms ahead. The tax holiday began Aug. 26 and runs until Sept. 8. More information can be found here: Fla. Dept. of Revenue Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday FAQs
The university is continuing to monitor these weather conditions and will share updates on this and any changes to classes throughout the week.
Please continue to follow local and state guidance as well as utilize university resources to assist in your preparations.
WHAT RESOURCES DOES GANNON OFFER TO HELP YOU PREPARE?
The university has prepared guides and resources that are available both on campus and digitally to support you in responding to various emergency situations on campus:
- Safety signage is posted. Tornadoes can be a part of hurricane and other severe storms. We have identified areas of both buildings that can provide improved safety. Look for signage leading to these areas.
- Emergency Flipcharts are located next to each classroom door to provide quick-step instructions on how to respond to tropical storm weather as well as emergency numbers.
- The Ruskin Campus Emergency Response Manual issued by Gannon Police & Safety includes more detailed step-by-step processes during severe weather like tornadoes, tropical storms and hurricanes. It can be viewed here: Emergency Response Manual-Ruskin Campus
- Hillsborough County Evacuation Zone maps are posted in or near each building lobby and break room area.
- National Weather Service emergency radios are located in both buildings and on each floor.
- Gannon uses Everbridge to send emergency emails to all students and employees. The service also offers text message, push notification and phone call alerts by registering via the mobile app. Click here for more information on Gannon’s emergency alerts.
- Download the Everbridge app and register with your Gannon user ID and password to receive important emergency texts and/or push notifications sent to your cellphone. You can also use the app to update your contact information and communication preferences following these instructions:
Additionally, some important emergency contacts to add to your cellphone contacts include:
- Hillsborough County Sheriff (813) 247-8000
- Tampa Police Department (813) 276-3704
- Gannon Police and Safety Emergency (814) 871-7777
WHAT COMMUNITY AND NATIONAL RESOURCES ARE AVAILABLE?
For national and regional weather safety tips, we encourage you to visit the following resources:
- Hillsborough County https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/en/residents/stay-safe/storm
- National Hurricane Center http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/prepare/ready.php
- American Red Cross https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/hurricane.html
We highly encourage you review the following websites and download the applications and emergency alerts that seem appropriate to you.
- Hillsborough County Emergency Alerts
- Florida 511 - Traffic Alerts
- Load a weather app on your cellphone and have it set up to issue emergency alerts.
For questions, please reach out through update.gannon.edu at https://www.gannon.edu/Questions-or-Comments/.